Wednesday 29 June 2011

Billy Bray's Chapel

Billy Bray was a hard drinking Cornish tin miner who found Christianity and faith after a troubled early life. He then built three  chapels with his son. Most of the work was done after the end of a shift down the mine.

We visited one of those chapels on Sunday to find a geocache nearby. Built in 1836, it is a plain building, but the story of the man who built it makes it special. To me it is a story of hope that any person may change to live a better and more caring life...

... I'm glad we visited it.

Until next time
Gillian

1 comment:

  1. One of my heroes. His influence is even felt not far from where we live as Cornish miners settled in New York State and even as far south as Richmond Virginia, driven here by the boom and bust nature of Cornish tin mining.

    “If I were to go down to Hell I would shout, “Glory! Glory! Unto my blessed Jesus until I made the bottomless pit ring again, and that miserable old Satan would say, ‘Billy, Billy, this is no place for thee; get thee back.’ Then up to Heaven I would go, shouting, “Glory, glory, praise the Lord!’”

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...